Cars that have been damaged in a natural disaster have to be managed in different ways by your insurer, depending on the state of registration. In some instances if the car is not economical or safe to repair it will need to be written off and de-registered with the government.

In some instances where the vehicle is safe to drive and only has cosmetic damage, for example from hail or flooding, you may have the option of receiving a cash settlement and organising your own repairs.

It is important to note that it can be very difficult to insure a car that has been cosmetically damaged. Speak to your insurer about any special arrangements that may be in place for handling written off vehicles in your state.